- Start tomatoes indoors in early April. Seeds require soil temperatures of 20°C to 30°C to germinate.
- Be sure to transfer to a cooler area before transplanting to harden off and avoid transplant shock.
- After last frost, set out 45-50 cm [18-20″] apart, in rows 90 cm [36″] apart.
- For stronger roots and more draught resistance, transplant deeply or on an angle.
- Water, well and evenly, but do not keep soil continuously wet as roots require oxygen from soil.
- Fertilize regularly.
- Seed Centre recommends using large [25 litre+] black plastic pots for northern gardeners. This gives warmer soil temperatures and provides better control of soil conditions.
Bush Beefsteak – 67 days – Bush. Strong vigorous compact bush and very sturdy. Fruits are round, smooth, bright red with a solid interior and few seeds. Very firm and crack resistant. Excellent yielder is a popular market and home garden variety for canning and slicing. Average fruit size 200 g [8 oz].